The use of social media hashtag for communication online creates a special and unique documentation for communications. It gives discussions about a particular subject, topic or a product a unique compilation, storage and ensures its unique appearance during search and trending topics.
Social media hashtags make it easier for people to find, follow and contribute to discussions about a brand, event or promotion(s). It simply makes the tracking of the performance of your promotions across social media channels.
However, in spite of the power inherent in the use of hashtags on the social media, many marketers and CEOs are missing out on making effective use of this great tool.
Your goal for creating and using a social media hashtag will be futile if certain rules are not followed when doing so. Here are some of such rules that must guide you.
- Sensibility: Hashtag serves a very important purpose in online communication and therefore, it must be sensible and related to the topic or subject under discussion. The perception of your fans, followers and prospects must connect the hashtag with the subject under discourse. They must not feel or see any difference between the two.
- Shortness and Simplicity: When creating Hashtags, always remember the rule of KISS. Keep It Short and Simple. Especially on Twitter, you need a short Hashtag. You only have one hundred and forty characters in on Twitter to make a great tweet.
- Memorability: Hashtags are created for unique purposes when discussing several issues or topics relating to your service, products or your brand. Your prospects, followers and customers must be able to memorize and use it appropriately when communicating with your brand.
- Relevancy: Of course, relevancy is a key consideration in choosing hashtags for brands or products. Make sure, it is relevant and related to your products or services.
- Consistency: With hashtag comes great responsibility. They are not created for fun. And your team should be consistent on with its use.
- Brand Inclination: Get your hashtags connected and related to your brand name. This will help your brand to penetrate the online platforms and make it visible to customers and potential ones to patronise your business the more.
- Universality: Ensure that your hashtags are simple enough for customers not to misspell them while trying to communicate with your brand online. When it is not been misspelt, it will enhance universality to aid visibility during the search for your brand.